Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Subway with Cheese


They say no great story started with a salad. I would disagree, owing to personal experience. It all started with starting a healthy diet and going to subway for my lunch from office. As I stood there in the veggie section, mulling over what I veggies I wanted in my sub, adjacent to me, in the non-veg section stood a guy (in formals, so I inferred he belonged to the same office-going crowd searching for a healthy meal for lunch) with his id-card hanging around his neck. The subway guy came up to me and asked for my preference of bread. Right when I said, honey-oat, the office-going labelled guy pronounced the same preference, honey-oats. I smiled to myself, weighing the odds of choosing the same bread when there were 6options on the table. The sub-guys split one foot into halves for the two of us, while I giggled myself to the idea that we are literally sharing the same loaf (and in my head while I said it, I mispronounced loaf as love!) After the cheese was added and toasted (and chicken slices were put in his), to my astonishment, we responded in same manner for our veggies preferences as well. All veggies- except jalapenos. By then I got a little too wary and waited for him to complete his order to ensure he wasn’t just mimicing my order. Bad decision, I must say, because now it seemed as if I were mimicing his. So after he ordered his sub to have more onions,capsicum and olives, I , to save some grace, didn’t mention to my sub-guy that I also needed more onions and olives and merely pointed at the capsicum to be added more. Since his non-veg sub took more time to prepare, we were back at the same point of choosing our sauces at the same time. Again, almost unbelievably, both of us chorussed “southwest” as if it was scripted. I looked at him with my eyebrows raised as high as I could. Having been amused himself, he gave me a dimpled smirk and asked, “Honey Mustard?” and I nodded and while looking at him told my sub-guy to add sweet onion and he replied saying “lots of it. And also mint mayo.” Perfect! Perfect! The geeky side within me was trying to find the probability of the orders being exactly the same while I looked at him with a squeamish nervous smile. I guess the odds were unnaturally rare, because as soon as our subs were packed and sent for billing, going by the similarity of our orders, the billing person asked if we were together. I just looked at him, smiled and said, “maybe we should be!”. He took the cue positively and responded, “Oh yes! We are!” And that was just the beginning of our full-course meal! P.s. – sorry for the cheesiness, I just like my sub with extra cheese!

No comments: