Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Monday mornings got better


Even the alarm sounds shriller on a Monday morning. The snooze button is only a depressing reminder that no matter how much you stall, you still have to lift your lazy bones and get to work. Work. The same monotonous work you do endlessly for your employer so that some business thrives. Some people are exceptionally motivated to work for others. I am not one of them, especially not on Mondays or in the mornings. I am the sulky one. Trading off taking a shower for 5more minutes of sleep only helps me in manifesting my gloomy mood outright to the world. The swollen eyes and the dishevelled hair match the frown on my face perfectly. Sigh. The first day of the week already starts with my being late. I grumpily pick my car keys and drag my feet to the car. Even though the distance from my home to office is only 7kms, it takes me 30minutes to reach; 40 on a Monday. It is as if, the Monday monster specially employs people to jam the roads to make your mornings dreadful. And as if jamming the road wasn’t enough to entertain him, he ensures that jockeys in every radio station lose their sense of music on Mondays to play the most dreadfully drab music. I switch through the radio channels only to find three channels playing ads and one playing the song from the times of dinosaurs. I snap and switch off the radio. Anyway, no music could have made my mood any better. Just when I switch off the radio button, the traffic signal also turns from green to red, when I almost reach the junction. “Well played, Monday monster”, I think, “you are on fire! I hope you burn.” The countdown ticker shows another 180 seconds before the signal turns green again. I roll my eyes and at the same time a red Beetle rolls down next to me. It is blaring with loud music and mind you, not the sane kind of music, the girl in the car is pleasing herself to Britney Spears. I almost cough out a smirk as her music system declares that it did it again. I roll my eyes again and try to steal a side glance at her. From the corner of my eyes, I first spot her hands on the steering wheel, sporting a bottle green nail polish. I pronounce her to be a stupid attention seeker right there. More careful glances make me notice that contrary to her funky nail polish, she is actually wearing formals. I then take a deep breath and dare to completely turn my head and have a proper look at her. What I see makes me laugh. The girl not older than 22, in the middle of an absorbing traffic, is lost! Lost in her own world, singing along to the music with a set of 16M colourful expressions. I amused myself to her funny expressions, as she mouthed the words, “I am not that innocent” with the girlish air of importance and then rolled her head around at Oh Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! I almost lost track of the 180 seconds until the car behind me honked to remind me that the signal had turned green. For a while, I was transported to the front most line of audience for a Britney Spears concert. Or maybe, though uninvited, openly welcome into a innocent girls imaginative heart, who was right there fantasising herself to be the mean girl, playing with someone’s heart ‘again’. Maybe, it wasn’t new to her, maybe that’s why she was so comfortably unaware that she had audience. Maybe she was used to stealing peoples heart at traffic signals and the song just perfectly summarising it for her while she enjoyed losing another game. As I drove ahead, I quickly opened my youtube app and searched for the same song. How silly of me, to consider just 5minutes back that there could be no song that could lift my spirits. I find the song and plug in my speakers to my phone. “Oops I did it again!” The rest of my way, I also sing along the song stupidly and visualise my newly found Britney Spears emoting her feelings into it. I did like considering the idea that we were more than just friends! I smile sheepishly as the dreads of the Monday monster lift away from me. Monday morning just got better. “Oops I did it again!”

No comments: