Monday, January 5, 2009

This is the future!!

OMG!!! Congratulate ME!!!! I just noticed that after all the not-so-strenuous, laid-back work, I have finally made half a century of blog posts! Oh my dear bloggy! Happy Golden Jubilee to you! And also Happy New Year!!! I suppose it is a great period for you! So what is your new year resolution bloggy? (You dont like your new name, Ahh... I will change it! How about bloggu? What?? You never seem to appreciate any of the things I do for you) Never mind, the readers will be happy to know about your new year resolutions, why dont you share it with them? Nah! Ohh.. He is too shy of audience. Cant help it, it was me who spoilt my baby! (Now dont you say that you dont approve of this name either?!?! How can it sound so pampered to you? Even so, arent you pampered? You were always a delicate creature. Look at yourself, you arent even confident enough to share your new year resolutions with our scanty audience?)
So anyways, my baby (dont give me those looks) has made a resolution to work harder and complete its century a lot more quicker. And also open up a little bit and make more friends in the blogosphere. I mean other bloggers hardly come to visit him. Never mind.
Anyways as for me, I havent thought of an resolutions yet. I dont stick to year’s end for such things anyways. Many such resolutions are made (though seldom followed) every now and then. For instance, I thought of writing more meaningful posts from now on, but am I doing it? Improving someone as disdainful and pedantic as me is quite a tough job. Oh no! Did you say I am far too perfect for improvisation. Good that you said so, I would not have liked stating it myself.
You by now would have clearly understood that I actually have nothing to write but still doing so. Actually that was to clear off the accusations that I am being ignorant towards my bloggy! (Oh alright my blog)
Hmm... A new year does make you envision your future. How about if I say my imagination went far beyond. I mean, thinking of about two three decades from now or even more. There will be a time (hopefully) a lot more developed than this present day and during such time, I will be reminiscing my days of youth, comparing it with the youth of my grandchildren and telling about the differences. My luxuries would sound merely as days of hardship, difficulty and discomfort to them. Nevertheless, it would rather be amusing. Wasnt it always amusing to hear your grandmother talk of her old days?!?!
Here is how I will go off recalling my golden days. I would say:
“You know in our days, we used to use cycles for transport than for merely reducing weight. Our cycles used to move and were not stationary as they are now.” And those astounded children would be speechless!
“ Internet was a luxury when I was a kid. Only few people had internet with only some of them having it 24X7. In those days, many used to go to the cyber cafes to check their mails.” For that my grandchildren might exclaim with horrified looks.
“In our days, we used to manage with ‘just’ Rs.5000 per month as our pocket money.” They might perhaps faint on hearing this.
“I was given a mobile phone only after I was 14. Some people got it only after joining college! And yeah, earlier there were also mobiles without cameras or music player and sometimes were black and white” I would further explain to clear their unasked question of how I used to communicate with my friends without a mobile and internet by saying “We used to call on landlines meant to be used by the whole family”. They might look at me reverently for being so accommodating and for using a common phone.
“We used to have frequent power-cuts in those days. Sometimes, power-cuts were scheduled for hours together!” and thus enjoy the look of my open-mouthed children, unable to take that fact in.
I would melodramatize it a bit to make it sound a terrible experience and say, “A.Cs were a luxury in our times. Not everybody could afford it. Instead we used to bear the heat with a mere substitute of fans and coolers”. They will surely find it an unfathomable fact!
“In our days a lot of two-wheelers were used and many who didnt have it used to travel in public buses and auto-rickshaws!” I think I shall hear a big and disgusting ewwwwww for it from them.
I shall still continue harking them back to my days and add further astonishing pieces of past saying, “In our country, many did not have a laptop or even a personal computer in their houses or even a whole locality had no access to it.”
“In early times we used to use cameras with reels. Digital cameras came much later for us.” Perhaps they might put up a sympathetic expression for me on such a revelation.
I might even hear a big disagreement or “Really” from them if I tell them that romantic relationships were more often forbidden and children used to hide such relationships from their parents until a reasonable age of marriage. And many a times, parents did not approve of their children’s choice and force him/her with an arranged marriage. Sometimes, in some families girls were restricted from talking to boys too.
They might not even believe that in our times, in some rural areas girls werent literate and were only house-wives. I might even be looked upon as an encyclopedia if I told them about the emancipation of women and related stuffs.
“And you know what! Even in summers we used to wear CLOTHES! Yes, more than just under-garments dear! Long clothes. Ohh not your stringy see-through dress baby! Long clothes which didnt reveal anything. At least not as much. Period. Phew!
“Oh my god! Gays and lesbians were only a joke for us and that too much later in the 21st century. Even then, we used to regard it quite unreal and it was only a source of humour for us. Who knows I would even have to add this “Oh dont give me such rebellious looks boy. I have no problem with your boyfriend.”
“Umm... And you know this language ‘hindi’ was one of the most common language in India and was also our national language.” And with their desperate want to hear me speak the language and much persuasion, I would proudly teach them a few words of Hindi.
“Yes.. Those words which you use in your rap songs like ‘ram’, ‘hare’ and ‘allah’ ‘mary’ were actually considered to be Gods. And we used to have riots everywhere over their faith. For which they would immediately wail, “Oh paati! GOD! Not such superstitions pleeeease!”
“In our generation those flying wings werent invented. The dives of batman, superman or spiderman were for us heroic and something totally unbelievable. As a matter of fact they were done only through animation.
“And yes, we all used to live only in the earth. Living outside the planet was unimaginable to us.”

Well, then a decade later, they wouldnt even listen to any of this. They might say, “Paati,you dont need to tell us all of this. We can go back 40 years back to see how it was if we want!
Well hope this does happen! I know half of it is more than just exaggerated and couldnt possibly happen, but who knows, my successors might laugh at all of us for thinking that it aint possible.

2 comments:

BiBinhio said...

My GOD!...
in 30 years time u wanna be a grandmother???...
so wats ur plan... get married 2mrw... have kids in 9 and a bit months time... hopefully have a girl... and if so or otherwise get her/him married off at arnd 2o so that they have kids the vry next year whom u can tel ur stories 2 by the time they r arnd 8 and able 2 understand all this tat u say???...

GOD... well planned life indeed???...

So who's the groom?... or shuld i ask the bride 4 u???... :D

and further more... how is sreya reacting 2 this sudden development!!!... :D

i lik ur imagination...esp the revealing dresses part!!! :D... somethings r worth paying 4 2 remain young and enthusiastic!!!... :D

“In our days, we used to manage with ‘just’ Rs.5000 per month as our pocket money.” They might perhaps faint on hearing this....

I dont even get tat much!!! :(

and abt public transport... the way i c it by tat time we will hav no other choice but 2 use public transport or solar powered cars!!!... but 1 thing is 4 sure... the roads will b much better!!!... unless ww3 happens!!!... :D

in my vision of the future there is but a barren desert filled with toxic waste!!!... :D very imaginative eh???... :D

Hestia said...

gayatree, you are so cute!