Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A fruitful argument!!!

Sometimes arguments make us have a better insight at our own ideas and point-of-views. Some days ago i was arguing with one of my close friends about relationships and I realized I actually had a very strong opinion about relations. I don’t want to be very opinionated or preachy so I will try to put his point of view in the best way possible.

The argument started when he said that he wants to have a girl-friend but does not want to be committed. I found it quite weird because for me going out with someone means to be committed till you get married to them. I didn’t quite understand his point and asked him to clarify. For that he said, I want to have a girl-friend for now but not surely want to get married to her. Just harmless flirting with each other for some time and then have separate ways. It was such a repelling thought for me and I quite rudely said that I don’t believe in such fake affairs. According to him, you cannot be sure that the person is ideal for you, so you shouldn’t commit so early. I definitely agree, but if you are not so sure then why be in such a relationship at all. Just distance yourself to being a friend only, why label it as she being your girl-friend? He said you cant simply wait for your ideal match to come from heavens just for you to marry him. I said he might not, but it still doesn’t mean I have to keep experimenting every single guy until I find Mr. Perfect. I don’t have to jump to actions every time I am infatuated to someone. I can wait and finally commit myself when I am absolutely sure that he is the one I want to marry. Then he asked me what if the other person you want to get married to dumps you in between? I felt that it would be an altogether different situation which I could not help for. I would not be my fault if someone plays around with me, I will not be guilty. But having such intentions beforehand from your side can never be justified. Then he further continued the argument saying that you might find somebody better than him, then you would want to leave him. In my opinion if you are deeply in love with someone, you would never even compare them with anybody else. People ofcourse might be better than him but being better does not necessarily mean they would be better in a relationship for you than him. For you, your some-one special will be perfect for you. He raised a question that what if your relationship is not perfect? Hmm… that would be very unfortunate. But no relationship is perfect. You have to work constantly to make it perfect. And unfortunate still if it doesn’t work out well, it is not the best thing that could happen to you. But even then that does not justify the need to have temporary affairs. At least you should genuinely try to be together till the end. For this, he said that I have never been in a relationship to know how it feels being dumped. My answer, I may not have been, but if at all that might have happened I would even more crave for a stable ever-lasting affair than a temporary one because then I would have been hurt enough to face the same pain again!

No comments: